Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Narnia Kai- don't read if hungry

Cafe Narnia is closed on Mondays but when I poked my head in the door they were just getting ready to taste test the new chef's new lunch menu. Well, I'm always willing to help out when needed, go on twist my arm.

I warmed up on the chocolate almond cake with raspberry coulis and a discussion about wine tasting. The cake was heavenly (and incidentally gluten free but you'd never know if you didn't care). Then the chicken curry with coconut cream and cardamom- mild and subtly complex- very nice indeed, though I suggested a chutney on the side would be the go. A vaguely Moroccan chicken pasta dish was perfect comfort food, tomatoey and so juicy it bordered on soup- yum yum. I was too full to try the lamb tandoori and too squeamish for the bacon, shrimp and prawn thing with ceasar salad but the others raved about them both- they looked and smelled good!

Narnia is open all the other days of the week, so if you are in Whangarei I recommend stopping by for lunch- it's a whole new, and wonderful, experience!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, there is just something I find instrinsicly (yes, even biblically) wrong about mixing "surf" and "turf". But I am squeamish enough about prawns and shrimps - too insectoidal!

zydeco fish said...

Mmmm, I have Celiac Disease and must eat gluten-free food, so that sounds delicious. Lunch is 50 minutes away.