Thursday, May 12, 2005

Cat and mice

Rolling out of bed this morning, my first action was to check the two mousetraps set out last night after close encounters with a couple of bright eyed little beasties. They managed to delicately eat the peanut butter bait off one trap without springing it, and ignored the other trap!

Sighing deeply at this frustrating outcome, I pulled the curtains and Stanley, the ginger tom from next door popped his head up at the window. I let him in thinking he could eat my vermin for breakfast. But as usual on his visits he did a circuit of my little cottage, meowing loudly in a critical tone before settling down for a good wash in an inconvenient spot. The first time he visited, he pulled all my bras out of their home and rolled around on the floor with them. The second time he decided that the best seat in the house was on top of the half made Narnia book. This third tour was less eventful, but he really isn't proving his worth as a visiting mouser.

3 comments:

zydeco fish said...

I am a failure at trapping mice. If a recent story I read is true, then my problem was using cheese, which this writer claims that mice really do not like, depite popular opinion.

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter usually works, but there are some smart mice around! I use the large grey plastic traps. However I have now had a week free of visits from the local field mice - I have tucked steel wool in every little nook and cranny of the cupboards where they come in.

Meliors Simms said...

Oh yeah, they love the peanut butter- it got nibbled off the second trap without springing last night. I would have to wallpaper half the house with steel wool to deter them so I'll try the big grey traps next.